Palazzo Versace Dubai’s executive chef Mansour Memarian offers kitchen inspiration for cooking at home with his Persian lamb shank recipe served at Enigma.
Persian lamb shank
For the lamb shank
- 2kg lamb shank (approx.. 4 pieces)
- 200g onion
- 20g garlic, crushed
- 200g tomato, wedges
- 150g carrots, chunks
- 150g celery, chunks
- 4lt water
- 50g adviye powder (see recipe below)
- 40g salt
- 8g black pepper
- 80g vegetable oil
- 100g spring onion
For the adviye powder (mixed spice)
- 150g coriander
- 150g cumin seeds
- 30g cinnamon stick
- 10g cloves
- 5g star anise
- 5g bay leaves
- 30g green cardamom, whole
- 10g nutmeg powder
- 100g turmeric powder
- Firstly, to make the adviye powder, mix all the whole spices except turmeric and nutmeg powder and roast in 160 degrees for 10 minutes. While roasted spices are still warm, blend them all together until powdered. Sift through with fine strainer. Lastly, mix together with turmeric and nutmeg powder.
- Season the lamb shank with salt and pepper.
- Heat the pan, put half of the vegetable oil and sear the lamb shank (all sides).
- On the other pot, sauté all the vegetables with the remaining oil until caramelized. Add tomato paste and adviye powder. Keep cooking in low flame for 4 minutes.
- Add water and salt into the pot, let it boil until the sauce gets a medium thick consistency.
- In a deep oven container, place lamb shanks and pour the vegetable sauce over. Cover the container with aluminum foil and cook in steam oven 100 degrees for 7-8 hours.
- Serve with roasted tomato, spring onion and white onion.